Thursday, January 24, 2013

Parker blasts wine bloggers: “the bar is so damn low”

Robert Parker once derided bloggers as “blobbers.” Another time, he couldn’t bring himself to mention Jim Budd by name (referring to him only as “this blogger“). Now, he has once again taken to his bulletin board to blast bloggers, saying “the bar is so damn low.”

He rightly praises the HoseMaster of Wine for being hilarious. He says that Hosey has “the brains and balls to target his laser of laughter on anybody”–that’s great that Parker was laughing through “PARKENSTEIN” and the jokes about Miller and Pancho Campo. Then Parker declares that HoseMaster should be the “Blogger of the Year,” adding, “although he would be the first to say the bar is so damn low for that award, he should win it every year.”

Maybe wine bloggers should award more wines 100-point scores to boost their credibility? Of note: Parker just gave 17 wines from the Northern Rhone 100-point scores. Apparently, that makes 53 wines that he awarded a perfect score to in 2012 (Galloni, for his part, handed out scores of 96 points or more to 160 wines in his most recent Napa reviews).

But the HoseMaster already lampooned the idea of perfect scores in an episode of PARKENSTEIN. Since Parker likes HoseMaster so much, we’ll give Hosey the last word:

I invented perfect wines when I invented my 100 point scale. Until I came along, there were no perfect wines. I know perfect wines, and I’m telling you there are 19 perfect wines from the 2009 vintage. How do I define a perfect wine? I’ve always said that greatness is defined in wine by (1) the wine’s ability to stimulate the palate and the intellect in the 90 seconds I devote to deciding it’s perfect; (2) the difficulty normal people will have in obtaining it; (3) the ability to improve with age, especially financially; (4) me. The 2009’s indisputably meet these guidelines.

Much has changed since I first began reviewing wines professionally some 35 years ago. And by “professionally,” I mean I paid to have my notes published myself. I didn’t know crap about wine. Yet despite decades of being the King of Wine, admired and feared by everyone in the wine business; despite countless honors bestowed upon me by the French government, including a Lifetime Pass to Paris Disneyland and the much-coveted French Liver Society’s “Lesion of Honor;” and despite 35 years of tasting 150 wines a day, my palate and methods remain unchanged. Why would they change?

Source: http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/blogspot/GuSC/~3/6LeISA-ZDPg/

François Hesnault Hans Heyer Damon Hill

No comments:

Post a Comment